Post subject: New "Made in USA". 12.5" Black Duratan I-Trap
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:56 pm 

Received on Wednesday. Break-in process has already started
Black Duratan exterior.
Black oil tanned lining.

I added a few other gloves in the photos for perspective

Post subject: Re: New "Made in USA". 12.5" Black Duratan I-Trap
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:30 pm 

I love it. So it looks to be even a bit bigger than the PRO-T, right? How does the pocket depth look like it compares to the PRO-T?

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:50 pm 

Wow !!!!! :o

Beauty right there...

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:41 am 

Thanks guys.
It is my son's glove and he apprectiates the positive comments.

The length is about the same as the Pro-T, but the pocket is definately deeper and perhaps a liitle wider too. The pocket isn't as big as the Nokona and is actutally close to the EL3 A2000 pocket (the fingers are just longer).
The leather is very nice and it isn't much heavier than the Pro-T.

The glove is being worked on daily so that it can be used this year. Nothing has been applied yet, but he will probably put a light coat of something on it this week to enhance the break-in process.
I'd apprectiate any opinions on what to add. I've got it all (Strong oil, Lexol, Pecards, Glove Honey etc).

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:40 am 

I have had three DuraTan gloves and all were absolute beasts to break in (in fact, none are completely broken in yet), especially if the glove includes the palm pad (that is the default unless you ask them to skip it).

This helped a lot, but it took me a while to turn to it as I am not a fan of using water.

1) Get the tap water running hot, get glove hand and mallet wet (or pour about 2 tsp. of water into the palm).
2) Put the glove on and use the mallet for 2-3 minutes.
3) Repeat with Lexol after it dries.

Also, instead of just pounding the glove, use your fingers to work the lining. For me, that was as useful as anything.

Yeah, that Nokona pocket is huge.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:02 am 

I was already considering the hot water treatment, but I must admit that the water thing is a barrier that I haven't been willing to cross yet. Common sense tells me that water and leather don't mix, yet everyone who uses the method appears to have success.
I guess I just need to close my eyes and drink the kool-aid :)

I'll probably give him the Lexol too. My experience is that it is very light and it doesn't add weight or leave behind any residue.

fyi. The palm pad was deleted. Finger pad too

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:02 am 

It was Bob at Rawlings that suggested the use of a little water. A few tsp. is not anywhere near the full dunk some guys give their gloves.

I held out as long as I could, but eventually (6 mos.) I got tired of having a glove that I couldn't close.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:04 pm 

Really good looking glove here. I also was thinking of asking Bart to make me an ichiro trap outfield glove, and it's awesome to see how well yours turned out. Enjoy breaking in that beauty!

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:19 pm 

My GS is all duratan and its been 4 months of constant work and not game ready...

Good luck, i wont use water but hopefully it goes well for you.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:38 pm 

How can you tell if it has a palm pad or not? I did not specify to leave it out, but I did specify "short break-in". It doesn't feel like it has a palm pad. Mine is taking a long time to break in and I do not anticipate it being game ready for another couple of decades.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:24 am 

If the palm feels 1/4" thick, it has a palm pad. Also, you may feel an edge of the pad if you start at the hinge and sort of squeeze as you move towards the pocket.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:05 am 

I specifically requested that the Palm Pad be deleted due to a suggestion that Rous had made in a previous post to someone else (thanks Rous!). Bart was happy to accomodate.
fyi..Bart also suggested that the 12 1/2" would be a better model for my son and the size is now becoming quite popular for a HS age Player in the Outfield.

Regardless, the break-in is coming along very well. My son beats the thing at least 3-4 times per day using a couple of nifty mallets that I made. fyi..my Wife absolutely hates the sound of the mallet work :)
In the end, we didn't do the water treatment, Instead, he applied a thin coat of Lexol to the key flex point areas. He used the mallet for a long time afterwards. The glove now closes with ease and although it isn't ready for game use, he can easily play catch with it. . My guess is that the Oil-tanned inner lining allows for an easier break-in compared to others who have the Duratan lining. fyi..My son's other Custom USA was also used during all games in the first season without any issue. Lotsa work on that one in the beginning too.

The Oil tanned inner lining was chosen with the idea that it wouold better resist the drying out affect that can happy with use (sweat and dirt). It also has a texture that can provide a better grip in the palm. Although we did discover with his other glove that the texture fades with use and eventually it will become smooth like the exterior

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:15 am 

Man, that really is one beautiful glove!

I'm not big on the water treatment either, I guess I just don't have the stones to go for it.

Currently breaking in a TB24 that I got from Morton's by throwing the ball around with my son and nothing else.

Seriously though, that glove is a sweet burly chunk of leather - and what's better with a glove like that is that your son will have it for long long time!

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:57 pm 

So I noticed that this glove has the single hinge lacing. I asked Bart about it and he said that they had such great local feedback about the 12.5" open back pattern used to make the Elites and Selects in Asia (China?) that they had another set of dyes made to make the same glove in the USA. I like the looks of this one over the other 1250. Closed back 1250s will still use the other pattern.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:03 am 

I wasn't aware that the 12.5" open back was a new pattern for the USA's. Regardless, it's good that they had it available since the open back was a critical requirement for my son. He wanted an open back "trapeze" style glove with an Ichiro web for outfield use. Had the open back not been available, he would have gone with another custom Manufacturer (possibly SSK or Rolin). Thankfully, the glove is exactly what he wanted and he is very happy.
The only thing that I would alter is the black I-web piece. It is plain looking. Perhaps they could jazz it up a little and embroider the Glovesmith name or add some funky stitching pattern.....
Something for the next guy to think about I guess. Or Bart, if he reads this :)