WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: N1 Elite
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:49 pm 

I know there have been posts before, but what are owners' opinions of these after some use? I'm thinking about picking up a 12.75 N1 Elite. As nice looking as Nike has made their gloves so far, I just haven't really enjoyed how the IF DEP or DES have broken in - they really want to break in thumb to index. Are the N1s different? I'd rather not buy a glove to just have it look pretty on my hand, so I'd like some reviews before I grab this instead of a PROTB24 or something similar.

Post subject: Re: N1 Elite
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:26 am 

I agree that the Nike OF patterns (depending on your hand) tend to want to break-in thumb to index or thumb to middle. I was able to "train" my DE to close thumb to ring/pinky by going two-in-the-pinky and really working the base of the thumb near the heel by constantly manipulating it while on my hand and also by wrapping it with a neoprene glove-wrap in the position I wanted it to close, laying it flat and then beating the outside at the base of the thumb with a mallet...like tenderizing meat (it's kind of what you're doing, actually). Worked great. Broke in perfectly.

I believe the N1s are made at a completely different facility than the DEs because the overall craftsmanship is, IMO, inferior to the DEP and even the DES. I also didn't think the leather was all that nice. A very slick, almost plasticky feel to it. I wasn't very impressed. While I generally like Nike gloves, I don't like the N1 series...somewhat overpriced for what they are. The DES is a better glove overall for much less money IMO. YMMV.

Now, I'm not bashing Nike. I own a few Nike gloves. But it's pretty well documented on this board that I'm a big fan of the TB24. So for me, your decision would be a no-brainer...although I definitely wouldn't dismiss a DEP that was broken in thumb to pinky. But between an N1 and a TB24, it's no contest in my book.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:31 am 

MrMoonlight wrote:
I agree that the Nike OF patterns (depending on your hand) tend to want to break-in thumb to index or thumb to middle. I was able to "train" my DE to close thumb to ring/pinky by going two-in-the-pinky and really working the base of the thumb near the heel by constantly manipulating it while on my hand and also by wrapping it with a neoprene glove-wrap in the position I wanted it to close, laying it flat and then beating the outside at the base of the thumb with a mallet...like tenderizing meat (it's kind of what you're doing, actually). Worked great. Broke in perfectly.

I believe the N1s are made at a completely different facility than the DEs because the overall craftsmanship is, IMO, inferior to the DEP and even the DES. I also didn't think the leather was all that nice. A very slick, almost plasticky feel to it. I wasn't very impressed. While I generally like Nike gloves, I don't like the N1 series...somewhat overpriced for what they are. The DES is a better glove overall for much less money IMO. YMMV.

Now, I'm not bashing Nike. I own a few Nike gloves. But it's pretty well documented on this board that I'm a big fan of the TB24. So for me, your decision would be a no-brainer...although I definitely wouldn't dismiss a DEP that was broken in thumb to pinky. But between an N1 and a TB24, it's no contest in my book.

I have the N1 12" model and I like it very much. I prefer it over a HOH or A2000. When you state the overall craftsmanship is "inferior" to the DEPs, I'd like you to elaborate a little on this. When I think of milk craftsmanship I think of the slap a label mexican gloves or the SLCS garbage that we see on here. While the leather is slick, once it breaks in, it goes away.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:11 am 

Eviladams wrote:
I have the N1 12" model and I like it very much. I prefer it over a HOH or A2000. When you state the overall craftsmanship is "inferior" to the DEPs, I'd like you to elaborate a little on this. When I think of milk craftsmanship I think of the slap a label mexican gloves or the SLCS garbage that we see on here. While the leather is slick, once it breaks in, it goes away.

Fair enough...I'll elaborate. I wouldn't go as far as to say it's "milk", because it's not. But compared to my other Nikes (I own 2 Pro Gold Traditions, a DEP, a DES and two DE's (both from 2008). The N1 was not as nicely made as any of them. Some of the stitching was poorly done, the webbing on one was misaligned, and I felt the leather wasn't even as nice as my 2008 Diamond Elites. Were they "milk" gloves? Not really...I've seen a lot worse gloves for a lot more money. But relatively speaking, I felt it wasn't as nice as any of the other Nikes I own and not worth its near $200 price tag. I've only had the chance to examine two examples (an OF and an IF model). Maybe they were both "Monday gloves"...who knows? Which is why I qualified my statement above with "YMMV". You mileage obviously does.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:17 am 

Specifically I was looking at this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIKE-N1-ELITE-1 ... 3cc5659952 at $160

The "Impact-Control" heel PILLOW really pushes that closing to the index even more. I've been trying to shape my 11.5 DEP to my middle finger and have got it now, but so far there are still issues of balls popping out and sliding around in the pocket. I go 2 in the pinky as well and still have some work to do, but I was just hoping the N1s might be shaped differently, especially an outfield model when Nike claims they shape position-specific gloves. $150 was my budget for a single-tone OF glove, and I can live with $160, but not if the quality is sub-par.

Can anyone add a picture or 2 as well? I've seen Evil's video, but who doesn't enjoy some more pictures?

Unread postPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:27 pm 

Picked up the 12.75 mod h-web this week for $60 nwt, anyone have new info on what to expect from these after having more time now with theirs?