WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: Mizuno Pro Limited MZP67/GZP67
Unread postPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 4:08 pm 

Hey guys, just picked up this Pro Limited from Don Morton. This glove's quality is crazy. The Deguchi is awesome. Also, the stamping say GZP67 but the tags say Promo MZP67. Sure feels like an MZP, but it's made in China, so I'm not sure. Super stiff thumb and pinky and also very stiff fingers. The lining is also the Deguchi. Overall, this glove is not only an amazing glove, but the best one I've ever felt. It's even better than Pro Dept. HOHs/PPs and far better than the Horween HOHs. Really recommend you pick one up.

Post subject: Re: Mizuno Pro Limited MZP67/GZP67
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:04 pm 

been looking at these, can you show a pic with a ball in the pocket?

F

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:12 pm 

For sure Griffey.

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:37 pm 

That is one of the "pro-issue" samples that Mizuno brings to spring training for players to try out. It's as much a pro-issue as any Wilson or Rawlings PI as the vast majority of the PI's that make it to the secondary market are left over samples from spring training.

I have a GZP66 which is from that same batch of gloves. The leather on those is absolutely outstanding. You're not going to beat those for the price. I just wish I could have got one of the outfield models while they still had them available.

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:01 pm 

Not wanting to drudge up the whole 'PI' thing, but also don't want it to get like eBay and some of the other boards around here when it comes to PI's. I've received PI's from Rawlings, Wilson, and Mizuno, and none have ever had a retail wrist tag with SKU number (some have no wrist tag at all, while some like Rawlings HOH's and PP's have the thin rectangular wrist tag with no SKU).

While it's not impossible that a promo glove made it's way down to spring training for a ballplayer to try on/check out before he ordered one (hell, I've seen completely stock retail model gloves used during spring training as sample/try-on gloves), it's much more likely that it went to an industry event, some place like the CWS, or a major retailer to promote their line of gloves (which is why it says 'PROMO' on the wrist tag).

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:30 am 

Someone over on softball fans emailed Mizuno about it and the rep from Mizuno confirmed the "pro-issue" status of those gloves. Whether that makes it any different from any other Shanghai Mizuno or not is up to the consumer to decide I guess. I'm happy with mine and could care less if it's a PI or not.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:15 pm 

The glove you're talking about is a different glove than the one pictured in this thread, but happens to be a glove that was flipped numerous times on eBay and on this forum in the wayback (never as a PI). As a matter of fact, it was a friend of mine at Mizuno who verified that glove as a promo glove (although it is a model that is available through the pro dept.). If you like you can call Casey at Mizuno, and she can explain to you that these are promo/sample gloves.

I know you mentioned the OF model, and here's pics of the OF model of this glove sold by DM with retail hang tags... PI's don't have retail hang tags...

And please don't think I'm putting these gloves down in any way... they are awesome gloves. Just don't want to make it like eBay and some other forums in here, where people buy these from DM and then re-list them for a premium as 'PI's'.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:59 pm 

So, out of curiosity, where do these DM Mizuno's end up? Are they in fact PI's left over from spring training or some kind of event? Or are they more likely to be promo's from an industry show or something along those lines?

The glove looks amazing, and I'm sure the leather is fantastic, so really it doesn't matter what the final designation is. But I was just curious as to how Mizuno PI's compare to some of the MIJ gloves. I guess specifically to a MIJ Crest Hide Supreme Elite, which is what I own and is my frame of reference. I also have a PI Wilson 1786 , to use as a frame of reference.

Also,

Dag51, - Damn, but that is a beautiful glove..

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:27 pm 

Even a real Shanghai made PI PL ordered directly through the pro dept, is not going to be as stiff as a Japanese made PL. Even though the name of the company is the same, Mizuno in Japan and Mizuno USA are completely different, and make completely different feeling gloves.

While a PI PL ordered through the pro dept. will be stiffer with some more options than retail models, a Japanese made PL will still be stiffer and have a different feel to it. The new Shanghai PI's feel like they have thicker leather than the Japanese gloves and the new kip they're using on them really makes it feel like the pocket custom forms and closes 'around' the ball, while the Japanese made PL's feel like they need to get broken in more like and old school rock hard Horween HOH, in which the establishing of a break point in the heel is essential to get the glove closing easily.

I know some people are in favor of the hot water break in treatment for Japanese gloves which may result in the Japanese PL feeling more like it's Shanghai counterpart, but I've never done that with mine and they remain pretty damn stiff for quite some time.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:39 pm 
Gold Glover

mattingly wrote:
The glove you're talking about is a different glove than the one pictured in this thread, but happens to be a glove that was flipped numerous times on eBay and on this forum in the wayback (never as a PI). As a matter of fact, it was a friend of mine at Mizuno who verified that glove as a promo glove (although it is a model that is available through the pro dept.). If you like you can call Casey at Mizuno, and she can explain to you that these are promo/sample gloves.

I know you mentioned the OF model, and here's pics of the OF model of this glove sold by DM with retail hang tags... PI's don't have retail hang tags...

And please don't think I'm putting these gloves down in any way... they are awesome gloves. Just don't want to make it like eBay and some other forums in here, where people buy these from DM and then re-list them for a premium as 'PI's'.

Mattingly that is my outfield glove I bought for my son on top and he loves it. He has had pro issues and many other gloves and will not part with the Mizuno promo MZP84! It's now broken in and awesome. It is softer than older pro limited gloves and has deer skin liner but is still a great glove at a great price when we got it. He has had numerous offers to sell it and even for a nice profit and he refuses to do so. Glove looks really nice out there too.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:35 am 

David - if it is in fact a pro issue I could totally believe it, the leather is outstanding.

Seibu - thanks so much man, it definitely is a beauty! :D

mattingly - even if its just a promo, the leather on this thing is insane. And I completely agree about the Japan PLs being stiffer than the Shanghai made PI PLs. And about the hot water treatment, I know a lot of people like to do it, but I myself like to just form it by playing catch and using my hands.

To everybody - I'm gonna post an update on this very soon, it's breaking in beautifully!

By the way, I just emailed a Mizuno Rep asking about what this glove would be considered. Will let you all know what he says

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:23 pm 

*UPDATE*

I received a reply from Mizuno. Here is what I was told:

Response By Email (Casey) (11/20/2014 03:25 PM)
Hi Davis,

Thank you for contacting Mizuno USA. The promo tag on your glove indicates that it is a glove marketed to our minor and pro league players. We absolutely consider this a "pro-issue" glove. If you have any further questions, please let us know.

David was correct, these are considered PI gloves.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:41 pm 

That is extremely odd... I was cc'd in the memo that came from my rep in the pro dept. that went through the business unit manager, and while I can't post internal memo's, I will say that it says that although some of the promo gloves are pro models, they cannot be verified/authenticated as PI gloves.
It also goes on to say that gloves made for their contracted players, are not labeled for retail sale.