WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Make your MLB predictions here
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:21 pm 
Gold Glover

Matt,

I would love to see all of this happen, but I don't think the Yankees will be competitive with their lack of pitching and aging team. Montero is a beast on the offensive side of the ball no doubt, but has yet to prove is defensive ability. He also hasn't made the team yet. With Posada going to full time DH, he has a very good shot though. If the Yankees have the AL MVP and AL ROY, I would go out on a limb and say they win the World Series without any problems at all. But even I am realistic with the 2011 Yankees. My worst fear is that CC walks after this season. Then all these 96ers will see what Yankee fans went through in the 80's.

I like the Rockies in the NL West and actually think they will compete with the Phillies. I also think the Giants will not do quite as well this year as defending champs.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:23 pm 

Yeah Im with ya TH, I think its more wishful thinking that I have the Yankees in there and Arod as the MVP (Adrian Gonzalez is a more realistic pick). I do however think Montero will win ROY I just dont see any others that could win it (unless Moustakes makes the Royals out of ST). I absoulutely love the Rockies, I think that if De La Rosa has a decent year as a #2 guy, they will win the West. Also really like the A's with that pitching and they are my darkhorse in the AL. I could easily see the Rockies in the World Series also

Rawlings USA custom 1150 2011

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:52 pm 
Gold Glover

If anybody from the Royals wins ROY, it's going to be Hosmer. Moustakas is a better all-around player, but Hosmer puts up gaudier numbers.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:38 pm 

I agree that hosmer will have a better rookie year but his will come next year I think. He will probably be a September call up this year then KC brings up hosmer next year which delays his free agency

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:47 pm 
Gold Glover

[quote="mattbarnes2"]I agree that hosmer will have a better rookie year but his will come next year I think. He will probably be a September call up this year then KC brings up hosmer next year which delays his free agency[/quote]

You bring a very valid point!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:41 pm 
Gold Glover

[quote="mattbarnes2"]I could easily see the Rockies in the World Series also[/quote]

That'd be awesome. I've been a fan of them for the last two seasons. I have gone to quite a few of their games in Colorado over the last two years since our family has been traveling to Colorado for vacations so much recently. Perfect stadium, great organization, great fanbase. I could go on and on.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:17 pm 
Gold Glover

I'd love to see the Rockies make a run for it, since the Yankees are in trouble. If the world was perfect, I'd love a ChiSox vs. Rockies World Series.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:24 am 

AL EAST: Red Sox: They're just dirty. 95+ wins.

AL CENTRAL: Twins: Mourneau and Nathan back, that sounds good enough for me. 90-95 wins.

AL WEST: Athletics: Rangers haven't improved, all they did was replace Vlad with Beltre. 90-93 wins.

AL WILD CARD: Yankees: Their offense's back will be sore from carrying the starting staff in their backpacks. 90-95 wins.

NL EAST: Phillies: R2C2, do I really need to say more. 95+ wins.

NL CENTRAL: Cardinals: With an upgraded offense and a scrumptious starting staff they should be able to outlast the Reds and the Brewers. 92-95 wins.

NL WEST:Giants: Scum, Shotgun, Dirty, MadBum, and Zeets. I think you pitching staff is pretty delicious if you #5 starter is Barry Zito. Full seasons from Ross, Posey, Burrell, DeRosa, and Bumgarner should only make them better. Miggy and a lighter Panda doesn't hurt either. 93-98 wins

NL WILD CARD: Padres: With a the Padres it's a six inning game, that's how good that bullpen is. The additions of Maybin, Bartlett, Hudson, Hawpe, and Harang only make their chances better. I don't care if they got rid of Gonzalez. They are a overall better team than last year. You gotta remember too if it wasn't for that 10-game losing streak they would've won at least 95 games, won the west, and would've probally gone on to win the World Series. This team is scary. 93-98 wins.

AL MVP: Adrian Gonzalez: The Green Monster, the Yankees' wiffleball stadium, and protection.

AL CY YOUNG: Felix Hernandez: He's the best pitcher in the AL and he's proved it with his stats from the last two seasons

AL ROY: Jeremy Hellickson: I don't know the AL that well.
AL Comeback Player of the Year: Chuck Norris. If you don't know always answer Chuck Norris you'll be surprised with the results.

NL MVP: Albert Pujols: He would've won the MVP in a down season, if it wasn't for a ridiculous season from Joey Vatto. He is a machine, but not The Machine.

NL CY YOUNG: Tim Lincecum: At the beginning of 2010 he looked like he was on track to win his 3rd CY in a row, but a rough June and August set him back. His velocity dipped all the way down to 86 and he wasn't able to control anything. He started a new workout plan, his velocity came back to 91-95, and he learned how to throw a dirty slider. His ERA in September was somewhere in the low 1's. That should tell you everything.

NL ROY: Brandon Belt: Brian Sabean is making this guy sound like the left handed Buster Posey. He also has better Minor League stats than Posey did.

Alright, World Series pick time....

What I think will happen:

I think that Red Sox will choke against the A's, and the Twins lose to the Yankees in the division series.
A's win in 5 games against the Yankees and CC is the only Yankee to beat them and loses game 5 in front of his home crowd(from Oakland area).

The Giants in 5 games against the Cardinals.
The Phillies will beat the Padres in 4 games, the Padres bullpen will choke from too much work from those 6 inning games.

BOLD PREDICTION: The Giants will sweep the Phillies. The Giants have always had Halladay's, Oswalt's, and Hamel's number. I think Lee throws way too many strikes against the Giants who are free swinging.

WORLD SERIES:

Giants vs Athletics, Battle of the Bay II!

Giants in 7!!!

If you made it through all of that, well then watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpvt_hdCjmo

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:17 am 

I agree with your pick of the a's, love their pitching and the rangers have none (love to see elvis andrus be a star though)

Im not sold on the giants though (people are going to hate me for that)
padres will finish last and the rockies will win the west because I clearly love this team

My bold predictions of the year: starlin castro will win the batting title and lincecum will finish with a below .500 record as the rockies cruise through the west

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:45 am 

goldy the gopher wrote:
Every year it's the same thing in the AL Central. Everyone picks Detroit or Chicago and every year the Twins win the Central. (and then get swept by the yankees)
True... I always thought the central was better when the Indians were winning it.. The Twins are about as boring of a team I have seen in some time... The Indians back in the day were entertaining and had a legit shot at winning it if they just had the pitching... I've never felt the Twins have really ever had a legit chance at winning it all..

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:59 am 

AL West: Rangers. Will be a close race against Oakland
AL Central: Twins.
AL East: Red Sox. They have a dominant linup.
Wild Card:Yankees. Still a dominant team just Red sox probably better. AL East is just the best division and the yankees will have a better record than other teams.

NL West: Rockies.
NL Central:Reds. Bottom line they are a good team.
NL East: Phillies. Have to be realistic here. hard team to beat
Wild Card: Giants. good pitching will get good starts.
:lol: Had to edit I got bored myself reading this. I talked way to much about the players.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:12 am 
Gold Glover

trixx82 wrote:
goldy the gopher wrote:
Every year it's the same thing in the AL Central. Everyone picks Detroit or Chicago and every year the Twins win the Central. (and then get swept by the yankees)
True... I always thought the central was better when the Indians were winning it.. The Twins are about as boring of a team I have seen in some time... The Indians back in the day were entertaining and had a legit shot at winning it if they just had the pitching... I've never felt the Twins have really ever had a legit chance at winning it all..

Yeah, I guess drafting well, and not just poaching players from other teams is boring. :roll:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:10 pm 

Quote:
Dont think Oakland is just that good of a team and we all saw what happened when people thought Seattle would win still no offense.

Giants might get close but I don't see them being as good. Giants lost Renteria and Uribe which is huge difference maker.

The difference between Seattle from last year and Oakland from this year is simple. Oakland actually went out and got hitting this off season. They traded for Josh Willingham and David DeJesus to play left and right field. They also signed Matsui to be their DH. There lineup will probably look something like this:
Coco Crisp (CF)
Daric Barton (1B)
David DeJesus (RF)
Josh Willingham (LF)
Hideki Matsui (DH)
Kevin Kouzmanoff (3B)
Kurt Suzuki (C)
Mark Ellis (2B)
Cliff Pennington (SS)

Now saying that Giants losing Renteria and Uribe will make a huge difference is ridiculous. Renteria only played in 72 games, had horrible range, didn't have a shortstop's arm, and seemed like he was slapping the ball instead of using his whole body to hit. Now I will always be thankful for what he did in the playoffs, but he would've been a backup SS this season and they aren't much of a difference maker. Uribe on the other was good, he was able to play all the infield positions decently, and jack one out everynow and then, but we're still better without him. He hit .248, his OBP was only .310, and he his OPS was a mere .749.

Next season the Giants starting SS will be Miguel Tejada, taking over the roll of Renteria and Uribe, their super utility guy will be Mark DeRosa, and their starting 3rd basemen will be (hopefully) a rejuvenated, slimmer Pablo Sandoval. Here's my projected line-up for 2011 if Belt makes the team:
Torres(CF)
Sanchez(2B)
Huff(LF)
Posey(C)
Ross(RF)
Tejada(SS)
Sandoval(3B)
Belt(1B)

That looks like a pretty good lineup to me. Also, if the Panda goes back to his superstar 2009 form this lineup will easly win the West. How about a line-up from mid May of 2011:
Torres(CF)
Sanchez(2B)
Sandoval(3B)
Huff(LF)
Posey(C)
Belt(1B)
Ross(RF)
Tejada(SS)

Quote:
as the rockies cruise through the west

Hey Matt, I don't know about you but I don't think the Rockies have the starting pitching to win it. They have 2 great hitters in Tulo and CarGo, but their backs are gonna be sore from putting the rest of the offense in their backpacks and carrying them.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:39 pm 

WOW how could I forget that the giants got Tejada. Much better addition. Must have just slipped my mind. Both the Giants and Oakland will be good. I just worded things really badly. It will be hard to beat the two teams. Cant wait until spring training.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:55 pm 

mattbarnes2 wrote:
I agree with your pick of the a's, love their pitching and the rangers have none (love to see elvis andrus be a star though)

Im not sold on the giants though (people are going to hate me for that)
padres will finish last and the rockies will win the west because I clearly love this team

My bold predictions of the year: starlin castro will win the batting title and lincecum will finish with a below .500 record as the rockies cruise through the west

Come on now Matt, Rangers have no pitching? CJ Wilson - heir apparent to Lee? Colby Lewis? Watch Brandon Webb come back!

Rangers/Phillies WS - Rangers in 7.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next