WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: Re: Louisville evolution
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:39 am 

crossing TPX completely off the list will at least make my glove purchasing decisions slightly easier.. I suspect they'll go back to producing decent gloves once these bomb

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:21 am 

mr.augie wrote:
crossing TPX completely off the list will at least make my glove purchasing decisions slightly easier.. I suspect they'll go back to producing decent gloves once these bomb

I'm with augie on this one. These will undoubtedly bomb.

But augie, you may not want to cross TPX off your list so fast...did you notice that they are not branded "TPX"? Only "Louisville Slugger". Perhaps they didn't want to risk diluting the TPX brand by including these...*ahem*..."gloves" as part of the TPX line. A wise move, I'd say.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:44 am 

[quote="MrMoonlightdid you notice that they are not branded "TPX"? Only "Louisville Slugger". Perhaps they didn't want to risk diluting the TPX brand by including these...*ahem*..."gloves" as part of the TPX line. A wise move, I'd say.[/quote]

Good catch. Since I don't see major leaguer's using those the Evolution gloves I would expect the TPX Pro will continue to be produced.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:20 pm 

i agree with everyone

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:24 pm 

Touched one of these today and they feel exactly like they look

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:21 pm 

While I find these gloves to be visually unattractive, that's about all I can say about them since I haven't seen or held one as of yet. I wonder how many people offering opinions on here have actually seen one???

The only thing I would offer up at this point is an educated guess. That guess would be that these are made by Insignia for LS. I'd also venture that these are made from the same steerhide that Insignia uses on their top-of-the-line gloves. That would make it very good indeed & about the same as a Nokona Bloodline. Both the Insignia's & Nokona's are offfered at about $280. This is $249 so.........

As an aside........ I can't understand why Insignia on describing their glove lining as "perforated". It's not. A more accurate description would be "dimpled" like a golf ball.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:22 am 

It looks like one of those miniature t-ball gloves

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:41 am 

Was at one of the local Dick's Sporting Goods and handled one of these Evolutions.
IMO, its a rebranded Insignia Glove (I've owned a few of those already). Workmanship was less than stellar for a glove valued at $250.00. Leather was extremely soft (reminded me of the Rawlings Dual Cores or Mizuno Classic Soft). Laces were very thin. The stitching was "off", lines weren't very straight. It has the dimple interior palm lining (I did like the diamond pattern). Sorry to say, recommended price point should be about half of where its at.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:28 pm 

im with dirty 30 these gloves are a fail I wanna know what they were thinking making these. I don't even think they will sell well so i don't see the point.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:33 am 
Gold Glover

I had one on my hand. It's no different than an insignia glove.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:32 pm 

Saw one at a Scheels in Nebraska recently. The employee I talked to said that LS bought out Insignia to produce an "upscale" glove. The glove I saw definitely looked like Walnut leather that is familiar on Nokona's. I was most disappointed in the tailoring of the glove. As far as the stitch lines, well, I have seen worse on Rawlings SLCS and Glovesmith's yet everyone gives them a pass. I did not notice the price.

They did have a demo glove of the LS custom program (that was made by Insignia). Nice leather but i noticed a flawed stitch between the ring & pinky fingers. Nice otherwise.

Here is a pic of the stock evo glove

Fritz

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:19 am 

Sorry about the mistake, I saw the Icon not the Evo. Rest of info still applies.

Fritz

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:57 pm 

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:49 pm 

When Nokona partnered with the Fenway group, one of the things they did was contract with a factory in Worcester MA to build gloves. The factory used computer software to arrange the pieces of a glove on the hide to minimize waste. Problem is, leather hides have bad spots, thicker and thinner spots and a definite grain (stretches more easily one direction than another). So they used Nokona patterns, but the gloves were sort of misshapen as the pieces were not oriented to the grain and thickness was not a consideration when choosing the place to cut the palm piece (at least, this is what I have been able to piece together).

So the expansion did not go well for other reasons (including the financial collapse) and the partnership went under, Nokona filed for bankruptcy owing the factory something like $200,000. As part of the settlement, the factory got to keep the patterns. I am not sure if Insignia is a house brand name for the factory or s different company. In any case, it looks like they are still using Nokona patterns to make gloves, now for LS.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:19 pm 

Absolutely bizarre, being as that LS's Horween Pro Flare gloves were pretty highly regarded. I've checked out their caramel & black, caramel & cream, all black, and tan Horween pro flares, and they were some really nice gloves. I kinda thought with their presence in MLB (LS definitely has their share of MLB glove endorsers), had they just tweaked their Horween Pro Flare line and maybe introduced a good custom program, they might have been able to compete with the big three.