WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board



WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Jeter Gold Glove
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:34 am
Posts: 270
Let me start with a disclaimer: I make no secret of my profound dislike of the team from the Bronx. Having got that out of the way, there are many individual players that have worn Yankees uniforms and still manage to personify everything good about the game - on and off the field.

Tops on my list of such players in the current era is Derek Jeter - outstanding ballplayer, team leader and all around good guy. Much has been made of the fact that he has lost a half-step or so over the years (we've had a fair number of debates on this forum about that very topic). My attitude is that he's not a defensive liability and he's the heart and soul of that team.

But a Gold Glove? How is that possible?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jeter Gold Glove
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:34 pm
Posts: 613
The award has and will always be a joke... Palmeiro won the 1B award in 1999 and only played 25-30 games there that season I believe ?

_________________
Oh snap !!! A-Rod is trollin' the Glove Works Forum...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jeter Gold Glove
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:33 pm
Posts: 358
trixx82 wrote:
The award has and will always be a joke... Palmeiro won the 1B award in 1999 and only played 25-30 games there that season I believe ?



Yes, besides nobody takes this seriously not even the managers/coaches that vote so why should we?

_________________
A2K 1799B
A2000 1786TB
Pro Preferred PROS12IC2T
Pro Preferred Custom PRO200-1
HOH PRORV23


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jeter Gold Glove
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:04 pm 
Offline
Moderator

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:55 am
Posts: 919
I stopped caring after Palmeiro won. Still love Rawlings gloves though

_________________
'I love the smell of Horween in the morning'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jeter Gold Glove
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:15 pm 
Offline
Gold Glover
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:56 am
Posts: 1408
Location: Lexington, KY
MVALZ wrote:
I stopped caring after Palmeiro won.

:lol:

_________________
If you all have nothing else better to do, check out my Twitter page!
www.twitter.com/eFiveTweets


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jeter Gold Glove
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:45 pm
Posts: 354
Location: West Coast
After all the articles saying Jeter should be moved off of SS he gets a gold glove! He made so few errors because he only gets to the easy ones! those balls whizing past him are getting scored as base hits! I used to think GG meant something - no mre.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jeter Gold Glove
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:23 pm 
Offline
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:05 pm
Posts: 3286
Location: Lakes Region
Well, it was bound to happen eventually.

Maybe the events of today were foreshadowed years ago, but the official death knell for the integrity of baseball's Gold Glove awards occured today when New York Yankees short stop Derek Jeter won his fifth Gold Glove.

Jeter won the award, despite being possibly the worst fielding shortstop in the American League.

Apparently, no voters watched Elvis Andrus, Alexi Ramirez, or Cesar Izturis at any point this year. Understandable, seeing as how they only played 454 games between the three of them in 2010.

One can only assume the voting for these awards must not taken very seriously, with managers and coaches voting while on their way out to the links after a long season. So, voters will likely vote for those they think can play, whether not not they actually did that particular season.

The other winners of the award in 2010 are deserving (thus far at least, the NL results are released tomorrow), whether or not any were voted in based on reputation alone.

However, these awards can define a player's legacy and voting should be treated with more care. Not many people can rattle off Ozzie Smith's career UZR rating, but some can tell you he did win 13 Gold Gloves.

One thing is for sure, John Sterling may be saying "past a diving Jeter!" more often than his hokey catchphrases.

_________________
Wake
Site Administrator

http://www.glove-works.com
Your source for Professional Baseball Glove/Mitt relacing, restoration
and Glove sales.

"Home of "the Works"
"It's a whole nutha level"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jeter Gold Glove
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:45 pm
Posts: 354
Location: West Coast
Elvis Andrus received a lot of praise during the World Series and was at times referred to as the best SS in the American League. Would of been nice to see him get the GG.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jeter Gold Glove
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:00 pm 
Offline
Gold Glover

Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:04 pm
Posts: 959
Location: Phoenix AZ
Alexei Ramirez shoulda won..Knowing him personally, I know how hard he worked this season to improve his defensive game. A total bummer to see Jeter win. I love him..Future HOF'er, 3000 Hit Guy, all that..But Alexei should've won.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jeter Gold Glove
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:45 am
Posts: 288
Location: Bellevue,WA
Just because you get to more balls doesn't make you a better SS. Its gotta be based on intelligence and what you do when you get the ball. If a player has better range but then throws it away what good is that? I wouldn't have voted for Jeter but he did have a better fielding % I dont know if thats the reason or what. It seems there was a time when the award was pretty much a lock every year at SS(Ozzie/Omar) now I don't know. I think Elvis Andrus will change that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jeter Gold Glove
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:04 pm 
Offline
Gold Glover
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:41 am
Posts: 1106
Location: Central Texas
Mike_2009 wrote:
Elvis Andrus received a lot of praise during the World Series and was at times referred to as the best SS in the American League. Would of been nice to see him get the GG.


I recall hearing a stat about Andrus, saying that half of his 16 errors were with throws to 1st. Regardless of how phenomenal your range is, you still have to be able to throw the ball to first....accurately. Bottom line is, a .976 fielding % is not going to get you a GG. Jeter only made 6 errors, while Andrus made 8 on his throws alone.

I really don't care who wins, but dogging on Jeter because of his range deficiencies is not fair IMO. As a major leaguer, you're expected to make the routine plays. Jeter's knowledge of the game and hitters, allow him to adjust which makes a lot of his plays look routine. Then he finishes by making a clean throw. Six errors in 151 games at SS is no small feat. His winning the GG is no more ridiculous than Pedroia winning the MVP a couple years ago.

_________________
[IMG]http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s4/ThugHunter247/IMG_4644-1.jpg[/IMG]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jeter Gold Glove
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:45 pm
Posts: 354
Location: West Coast
I haven't seen Elvis Andrus play outside of the World Series games so I can't comment on his errors personally. I did hear announcers make comments that some of the errors he made on throws to first were when fielding balls deep in the hole that most SS would not even be able to make a play on. Ozzy was so impressive because of those "WOW" plays he made - more so than just looking at a statistic...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jeter Gold Glove
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:36 pm 
Offline
Gold Glover
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:41 am
Posts: 1106
Location: Central Texas
Mike_2009 wrote:
I haven't seen Elvis Andrus play outside of the World Series games so I can't comment on his errors personally. I did hear announcers make comments that some of the errors he made on throws to first were when fielding balls deep in the hole that most SS would not even be able to make a play on. Ozzy was so impressive because of those "WOW" plays he made - more so than just looking at a statistic...


Most plays like that are ruled base hits anyway, but if a throw is made without any chance of making the play because of its depth, the throw is ill advised in the first place and should be ruled an error if the runner is allowed to advance to the next base. Jeter just doesn't make mental errors like that and that could be a key reason in why he won the GG this year.

_________________
[IMG]http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s4/ThugHunter247/IMG_4644-1.jpg[/IMG]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jeter Gold Glove
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:45 pm
Posts: 354
Location: West Coast
I see your point but keep in mind that on some other plays he probably did rob someone of a base hit. I always admired Jeter and have nothing agianst him - just saying I rather see it go to the flashy guy versus the "sure and steady" guy...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jeter Gold Glove
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:52 pm 
Offline
Gold Glover
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:41 am
Posts: 1106
Location: Central Texas
Mike_2009 wrote:
just saying I rather see it go to the flashy guy versus the "sure and steady" guy...


I love to see flash too, but who would you rather have playing on your team? I'm sure the voters considered that too.

_________________
[IMG]http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s4/ThugHunter247/IMG_4644-1.jpg[/IMG]


Top
 Profile  
 


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Mods Database :: Reset blocks

phpBB SEO
Portal XL 5.0 ~ Plain 0.2
Create a Forum | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Report the forum