WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: Initial Review - All-Star FGS7-OF
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:00 pm 

http://www.all-starsports.com/products.php?prod=668

I was fortunate to get a hold of one of the new All-Star fielding gloves last week at the ABCA Exhibition, thanks to the great AS employee (who should be signing up to join our forum!) who was gracious enough to let it go (quantities are low, and he needed the gloves for Spring Training). Turns out he is a lurker here on Glove-Works, and he has considered joining. Of course, I told him how much we appreciate having people from different glove companies around the board for questions, information, etc. I left the conference knowing that All-Star has people working for them that actually care about what the people think of their product - which is something that some companies (bigger) just don't seem to do as well as AS.

On to the glove!

Some of the initial things I noticed was the sturdy and clean craftsmanship, which I fully expected based on the quality of the AS catchers mitts. Great marks for quality. The smell was very nice, and the same as a Mizuno Pro Limited GZP50 I got back in 2002 or 2003. The leather seemed the same quality, as well (which is good!). When I slipped my hand into the glove, with two in the pinky, it was a very nice feel - buttery smooth. I know some people don't like palm pads, but it doesn't both me with an OF glove. As I played with it after acquisition, and began to mold it to my liking - I found it very receptive to holding the form I pushed on it.

I can't find any negative things to say about this glove, really. I guess the only downer is the availability. I have one of their 1st base mitts coming, but it should arrive some time in February. That's a long time to wait, but it will be worth it. I suppose some people would complain about the palm pad, but not me. I love the conventional back, which you don't always get with OF gloves. One of the biggest qualities about this line of gloves is the price point. At just under $200, I don't think there is a glove on the market that can compete with All-Stars quality. So far, this is a great glove and I'm very happy! Good job, All-Star!!!

Post subject: Re: Initial Review - All-Star FGS7-OF
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:45 pm 

That's a very nice looking glove. Thanks for the review. I wonder why their mitts are ~$300 and the gloves are less than $200?

When you put two in the pinky, do you put both fingers in the finger loop? Or do you leave your pinky in the finger loop and put your ring finger in the pinky stall but beside the loop? I've been experimenting a little with my MZP82 and I think I like the second method more...

Also, I'm interested to hear what you have to say about the first base mitt when you get it.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:26 pm 

haltom49 wrote:
When you put two in the pinky, do you put both fingers in the finger loop? Or do you leave your pinky in the finger loop and put your ring finger in the pinky stall but beside the loop? I've been experimenting a little with my MZP82 and I think I like the second method more...

I put both fingers in the loop, never tried one in the loop and the other out. I've had gloves where there was no room for two in the loop, or stall. The whole point being to raise the glove up about an inch on your hand to "extend" the length of the glove (and form a deeper pocket).

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:46 pm 

Two points. As long as players are willing to pay the high prices for gloves the prices will go up.But a $100 savings could convince many to buy All=Star if their fielders gloves prove worthy in the extended use. In the long run a palm pad will extend the playability of a glove. Example older Mizuno World Wins.While I have used an All-Star catchers glove, I prefer Wilson for performance and durability. Where are these All-Stars made?

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:13 pm 

very cool thank you for the review. Everyone was wondering about these.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:01 am 

The All-Star fielding gloves are made in the Phillipines, and I was told by a different group than the one who makes the catcher mitts.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:33 pm 

How deep is the pocket on these gloves. I need a third base glove for softball, my preference has always been 12" to 12.25", but if the11.75" has a good deep pocket I may try one. Or what do you recommend?