WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: Re: How can I tell whether it is Horween leather??
Unread postPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:54 pm 

Unread postPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:57 am 

That glove from Canada might not be a Horween since its made oversea But like other members have suggested, its not a Hard Rule, it could be Horween depends on that particular run. But from the look of it, the glove does not have the Horween color. But again, depends on that run, the tanner could have used a different tanning formular. I have a few C55 Horween, which has a Hint of orange in it. I have yet develop a trained eye for these things. So please take my assessment with a grain of salt. -DatDuke.[/quote]

This particular glove is just what was mentioned earlier except maybe oiled to some extent. The gist however, is that DMS made models xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx and xxx. After collecting or paying attention for a bit, you get to know what those models are. Some runs have a few different versions. If you know DMS commissioned a couple lines of RV23s for example.. when put next to each other ( or even alone) you can tell which model was horween and which is the jap tan. If you dont know from looks, the date code or even the "GGC" on the pinkie will be a tell as the jap tan ones are on the glove while the horween have a patch.
Long story short, you kinda just get to know what 'could' be horween and whats not. AK2s are another good example. OG were horween. EB now has the jap tan. With widespread releases, there is enough material as TB mentioned that by going back and reading- you can find reviews of each release and what they were made from. USA models are easier obviously. The pro dept and one offs are where it can get harder to tell as theres not something that tells you its horween lol.
I do think a common misconception is that when they went overseas, they stopped using horween.
A lot of the early 2000's gloves have the oil treated stamp, so its not the DRY horween, which, is more sought after BUT its quality stuff. Personally, I'd much rather a OT 2000's glove than a modern retail glove but thats just me.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:58 am 

2ndly, for whatever reason I think people think that horween isnt available any more. The dry tan stuff most of us know and love may not be a reg thing ( yet? fingers crossed) but I think the black has been pretty consistent. One of the 1st changes to the builder recently was making sure the Horween name was in the black oil color. As people have mentioned, its also a dual core thing...

In conclusion, in you really are interested for the sake of learning and not just as a "hmm, i can find a horween glove and flip it for $$" interest (Its not worth it time wise... the $$ you'd make is so small in relation to the time youd spend learning, stalking ebay, and whatever other hunting means you have... not that i think this is your intention anyway) just read read read. Start at the back of whichever section interests you and move back to front as it seems most of the meat is from yrs ago. Use the search function to find posts about models you like, or releases, or heck even horween. Like any hobby, its a rabbit hole. This one happens to be connected to the greatest game ever played and is part of Americas past time. Enjoy!!!!!

Unread postPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:43 pm 

Can someone tell me if this is Horween just by looking at the pictures? I pick up this Camel SLCS a few days ago. It plays like a Horween, its real dry, Not floppy, its fully broken in with a super deep pocket. its a SLSC made in the USA But the marking in the palm is pretty worn out. I played catch with the team today, and man, it hurts. thick leather, but no pad no fur lining, and no Deer Tan Cow Hide, same material on the lining as the shell but its black PRO12F. Thanks. Glove belongs to a minor league turn Major Pitcher. Since it has no date code, I can't really tell.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:44 am 

DatDuke wrote:
Can someone tell me if this is Horween just by looking at the pictures? I pick up this Camel SLCS a few days ago. It plays like a Horween, its real dry, Not floppy, its fully broken in with a super deep pocket. its a SLSC made in the USA But the marking in the palm is pretty worn out. I played catch with the team today, and man, it hurts. thick leather, but no pad no fur lining, and no Deer Tan Cow Hide, same material on the lining as the shell but its black PRO12F. Thanks. Glove belongs to a minor league turn Major Pitcher. Since it has no date code, I can't really tell.

I digged some old posts some days ago and learnt Bob aka docglov said the camel leather from SLCS were all Horween leather. the color was tanned not paint like the pro preferred kip.
Bob said that before the SLCS custom line started. dont know whether they changed the leather later or not.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:49 am 

DatDuke wrote:

According to the pictures, it has a really nice white padding both in the thumb and the bottom of the palm and pinky!!
maybe because its a pro issue. I watched a review video SLCS on youtube, the one in that video didnt have a high quality padding though...

Unread postPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:32 pm 

bigmac25 wrote:
That glove from Canada might not be a Horween since its made oversea But like other members have suggested, its not a Hard Rule, it could be Horween depends on that particular run. But from the look of it, the glove does not have the Horween color. But again, depends on that run, the tanner could have used a different tanning formular. I have a few C55 Horween, which has a Hint of orange in it. I have yet develop a trained eye for these things. So please take my assessment with a grain of salt. -DatDuke.

This particular glove is just what was mentioned earlier except maybe oiled to some extent. The gist however, is that DMS made models xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx and xxx. After collecting or paying attention for a bit, you get to know what those models are. Some runs have a few different versions. If you know DMS commissioned a couple lines of RV23s for example.. when put next to each other ( or even alone) you can tell which model was horween and which is the jap tan. If you dont know from looks, the date code or even the "GGC" on the pinkie will be a tell as the jap tan ones are on the glove while the horween have a patch.
Long story short, you kinda just get to know what 'could' be horween and whats not. AK2s are another good example. OG were horween. EB now has the jap tan. With widespread releases, there is enough material as TB mentioned that by going back and reading- you can find reviews of each release and what they were made from. USA models are easier obviously. The pro dept and one offs are where it can get harder to tell as theres not something that tells you its horween lol.
I do think a common misconception is that when they went overseas, they stopped using horween.
A lot of the early 2000's gloves have the oil treated stamp, so its not the DRY horween, which, is more sought after BUT its quality stuff. Personally, I'd much rather a OT 2000's glove than a modern retail glove but thats just me.[/quote]

Great information!!
So the early 2000 gloves with the oil treated stamp were made of oil-treated Horween leather, right??

Unread postPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:46 pm 

From what ive deduced, the black ones were. The cmhcb2 for example was horween in the usa. This model was made both here and there, and the ot stanped ones are just an oil treated black horween. Id imagine the tan ones are, but after they changed the design from the rawlings script on the thumb in the very early 2000s i cant tell ya as i have not had a glove from then to research.

Datduke, you could tell that was an slcs on the bay from the script. I was suprised it went for that much in the shape it was in but figured someone must have really wanted an slcs. I didnt look too much into it as i am just not a fan of collecting gloves with that much use so i wont be much help. Its a heck of a read, but going through the entire slcs post front to back can be very helpful and imformative.