WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: Re: Horween vs. Non Horween
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:45 pm 
Gold Glover

Hrking4675 wrote:
I'd say anything in Tan Horween is. Youd probably see a USA 6HF or 12TC go for more than a TT2/AK2. Id say a horween 200-6 and TT2/AK2 would fetch close to the same. We dont really see IG prices though like you do on Ebay, so its tough to say what its worth - or what someone is paying for it.

What I find hilarious about this TT2 infatuation is Rawlings released that pattern as a PROS15SP or something like that. An 11.5" Pro Preferred with Camel/Black. Nobody liked that pattern. In my opinion, that pattern sucks to actually use. You get Tulo using it, he gets a spot in the ALCS with a light shined on his glove and every 11-17 year old instantly NEEDS a tan Horween TT2.

I had that PP. 2008 or 2009 i believe. I remember one day i picked it up after using other patterns for a few weeks and just thinking "this feels really strange" sold it shortly after.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:14 am 

I'm finding with every new Horween glove I buy there are differences within the same leather type. Starting with an '80's or '90's USA glove and progressing to a DMS version, I find the range of difference to be vast within the same dry tan leather. I just picked up a nwot PRO 2 from 1991. While stiff from lack of use, it quickly took on the soft and subtle characteristics once I started working it. A nwt 6XBC from DMS got nowhere near that feeling after a year that included conditioning, pounding, and catch. Along with the date codes and leather codes, is there another code to determine C5, C55, or C555 that can be found prior to purchasing?

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:34 am 

Agreed. I think now as they are getting older, storage makes a difference, Also, as the make has evolved over the years to me, the older ones feel less stiff. I know for example a 93 6hf is a great glove but kind of light and a little thin. A 99 Philly model is just an absolute tank compared to the 93. MAYBE the majority of this change occurred with the switch abroad BUT a 6hfd from the same year feels thicker as well.
I guess what I'm getting at is the DMS horween with its modern make is going to be much more thicker and the leather seems to feel that way as well. The USA ones feel like there is less to them and even though the leather can still be fantastic it seems like if stored in a hot place it makes it soft and takes the stiff out. I'd guess the bulk and thickness of just inserts along has come a long way and makes a big difference.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:19 am 

Unfortunately not a factor today, but how would you have liked ordering a SLCS only to receive it with feather light or dual core leather?! I read the custom section and some guys believed they got C5555 leather when they were hoping for C55.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:35 am 

i thought the die hards were pretty well versed on what Bob had at the moment and he would update people on here when he got some good stuff - or imply the current stock wasnt too hot. I didnt live it so I dont know, just the impression I got from reading.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:13 am 

AGlove shouldn't take one year to break in, unless you simply don't use it. Agree with the Weiters mitt being an exception. I've got one, and while I don't play, I catch many bullpens each year and a couple of my players use it on occasion during games. It's still stiff, but useable for games now.

I've got a wheat colored SCLS glove. It came very stiff, but I was able to whip it into shape in about 3-4 weeks. I'm not sure if it's Horween.

I've found my Spaldings Pro selects to be harder to break in than most gloves. I think they are kip lined...they have that soft, velevety feel on the palm. Still, no way they take a year to break in.