WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: HOH or PP Custom: Worth the money?
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:16 am 

Hello All,

First time poster, so I hope that I put this in the correct section. If not, I truly apologize.

I am looking to order a custom glove for my son. I am a little concerned about ordering a glove that is made in the Philippines (I mean no disrespect). Should I be concerned about the quality of this glove? I would like for it to last him several years.

Also (assuming that the quality of the glove is good), when it comes to customs, is PP really that much better than an HOH? I do not mind spending the extra money if the quality is that much better, but I do not want to if the difference is not great enough the justify the added cost.

Thanks in advance for your input and help.

Regards,

Justin

Post subject: Re: HOH or PP Custom: Worth the money?
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:37 am 

Rawings customs are made extremely well, you don't need to worry about the quality at all.
As for the leather choice, it's all about personal preference. I prefer the softer feel of Pro Preferred leather for IF and love the stout HOH leather when I'm playing catcher.
My recommendation is to take your son to a local sporting goods store and have him try both lines, to see which one he likes better.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:47 am 

Thank you for the reply.

My son primarily plays 1B/OF. Both of his gloves are Wilson A2Ks, which he loves, but he is need of a larger OF model. Would you say that the PP leather is more similar than the HOH to an A2K?

I will see what I can do to find a place that carries both the HOH and PP gloves.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:54 pm 

PP will be a longer break in, but give you a more personalized pocket once broken in, better feel, and stouter thumb and pinky. While the PP kip will have a softer feel to it compared to HOH steerhide, don't expect a glove that isn't stiff and don't expect to break it in overnight. PP's actually require the most player break in, of any Rawlings glove.

As for Rawlings gloves made in the Philippines, more MLB players use Rawlings gloves made in the Philippines than any other glove. That should tell you all you need to know.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:48 pm 

Mattingly,

Thank you for the reply. Pardon my ignorance, as for some reason, I was thinking that the Pros were using gloves made in the USA.

Anyway, I went ahead and ordered the PP for him. I do not mind the longer break-in time as I believe it means that the glove will have longevity due to the quality leather.

Thanks again for your help.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:42 pm 

Pseudopaw,

The only major manufacturer making gloves in the US that I am aware of is Nokona and MLB players using their gloves are few and far between. The best know MLBer using a Nokona that I am aware of is Kevin Siegrist of the Cardinals.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:34 pm 

The kip leather on the PP's is real smooth (buttery) and you'll be extremely satisfied. My boys outfield PP lasted 4 years of year round ball (travel then high school).
He also had a HOH for middle infield which is nice too but something about the kip (that's why my baseball gamer is a PP too). Of course, everything is made in the Phillipines after SLCS closed down Rawlings. You should be happy with the quality of product.
Now, there are still some manufactures that I'm aware of still producing in the U.S. who I consider the "mid-majors"- Nokona, Glovesmith, Vinci, Trevino and Insignia (who used to manufacture for Nokona, are doing stuff for Louisville Slugger and their private line) to name but a few.
You also have specialty manufactures out there like Carpenter.