WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: Forum Upgrades?
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:06 am 

I've reached out to a few of you recently as well as some of the new crowd on IG on how we can "Make the Forum Great Again."

I think some of the key features / things to do are the following:
1. Ease of mobile connectivity and picture uploading ability
2. Reconnecting with enthusiasts who like to talk shop, but are not majority strictly buy, sell, trade - They can self promote elsewhere
3. Better search function (With a better search this will put things like IG in the dust for information)
4. Promoting the forum with a link elsewhere on IG, SBF? ect ect. I think the text-based nature of this place will weed out those who are not as actually interested in gloves.

Am I missing anything else? What else would some of the original people on here want to see again?

Post subject: Re: Forum Upgrades?
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:46 am 

I think that list is a good summary. The search function is really key IMO. There are often times that I've come to the forum needing info about models, collectors, issues, etc. and the search feature either doesn't work at all or just doesn't work well enough to find what I need. It used to be that I could use Google search functions to search the forum through Google but for whatever reason that no longer works as well as it used to. It's too bad because this forum has the potential to be the #1 online source for such valuable info.

The free "bulletin board software" used to run this forum may be to blame. Other forums have better features including search capabilities. However, I'm guessing that it's not possible to switch software without losing all the valuable past data.

The other big change is that the forum used to have the benefit of a tight and active community with Wake and friends leading the way. It was named after Wake's business which grounded the forum gave it a sense of authenticity, and which served as a good branding story behind it. When I first started writing posts I was on my best behavior feeling like I was stepping into someone else's clubhouse. Any interesting post (such as this "Forum Upgrades? post) was sure to get several replies. Now it feels more vacant without the same level of leadership and regulars. It could use a re-branding and resurrection of new glove enthusiasts leading the way.

In the same way that I've seen WhatProsWear grow into a hugely popular source of information (and a valuable brand of it's own), I think an individual or a group of could take the lead and resurrect this forum. Glove collecting and the need for glove information is growing. The potential is definitely here. I'm too biased as an owner of a competing brand to be the right person but I'd love to see Jason and/or others revive the forum.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:20 am 

+1 x 1,000!!!!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:32 am 

i like it has anybody heard from wake? is he still collecting? i haven't seen him post anything in awhile and he owns/runs the site so he would be the guy to contact

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:04 pm 

Speaking as one of the young members of the forum, better mobile connectivity would be a key improvement.
We just don't use computers that much anymore, having switched to smartphones and tablets.
Being able to search the forum whle on the go would definitely be appealing.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:13 am 

He updated the for sale portion a month or two ago. Lots of pop ups on mobile for me as of recent. Never used to have those issues other than long loading time. John had the right idea though in that if these are fundamental web site issues- isnt he the person that needs to make it happen? I dont know anything about web design etc but this site looks dated. I'm sure updates/upgrades cost $$ too so we might be stuck with this structure no? We can certainly make the content better though...
Are there existing mods out there? Wasnt Mattingly23 one? I havent seen him post in a bit..
Maybe Jason's idea of a new structure would be helpful. Get this place active and maybe it can be returned to all its glory.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:01 pm 
Site Administrator

Hey guys. Sorry that I have been absent from the forum for such a long time. It's amazing how life and work get in the way of hobbies. I have been taking care of the Mrs with her ongoing cancer battle. She is doing well and her treatments seem to be keeping this at bay. My professional business life has been extremely demanding with acquisitions and such.

Glove-Works is alive and well and super busy with repair and restorations. We have been selling much of our collection and will continue to do so over the next few months, keeping only a select few special gloves for display.

We have been working on adding a few Glove-Works products including an exclusive line of very limited custom baseball gloves as well. These should be available sometime in April. We have had conversation with a couple large brands that have expressed interest in partnering with us for product and services.

I hope to make time get this Forum up to date and will be seeking advise as well as resources to help get that implemented.

Thanks to those who have redhead out, I appreciate the support

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:49 pm 

Wow! Lots of good news in the post Wake starting with the cancer battle and up to the new glove project. Hope everything keeps progressing in the positive direction.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:10 pm 
Site Administrator

Any folks interested in becoming a moderator may submit a letter of interest to me at mike@glove-works.com

Please provide your forum username when inquiring.

Thanks

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:10 pm 

Ive been doing some looking around and it seems like it is indeed possible, and not super complicated to port over ALL of the info here to a better host for mobile access. More to come, but it seems this is indeed a possibility.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:43 pm 

I'm on an automotive forum that moved to an updated platform a few months ago. Mobile accessibility was the main driving force behind that upgrade. I personally don't care about that as I only access the web on my computer, but I'm in the minority these days. There were a few bumps for those working on the upgrade, and it took some getting used to for the rest of us. They were able to transfer all the old data, but some of comes up differently than it used to. That was and is a completely different format than this site, though.