WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: Early Philly Gloves
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:43 am 

Little slow round here eh?

It occurred to me that I've never really found a explanation on what exactly happen when production was moved abroad leather-wise.
It seems the EastBay OT series would have been around this time, but for the most part other than that we are pretty familiar with the USA horween that was being used.
My 6HFD is actually closer to the feel of the philly leather rather than the traditional USA leather, but it is made in the USA.
It does however lead me to wonder, did the tan horween totally change when production moved over seas or does it just seem like it?
This might not make sense, but the USA gloves seem to wear a certain way.
Early Philly gloves (the ones with the Rawlings word mark largely spelled out on the thumb--CLASSIC IMO) seem to age with a bit of a glossy sheen to them.
I see people now and then assume their glove from this era isnt horween because is does not have the USA stamp in the palm but its gotta be. It does however seem a bit thicker to me ( even taking into account the palm pads that seemed more common now... which i was not a fan of) but is it maybe they started adding more oil??

From what I've put together from Bob and boardies old posts...
The gist is, production quietly moved from the USA over seas. New dyes were made and some patters got an update/overhaul (6hf, pro1000h, cmhc or maybe even all??) and then the USA production ceased to exist.
But what about the leather?? :)

Interested to hear some opinions on how close you guys think they are and your thoughts on what the new stuff was at the time.

Post subject: Re: Early Philly Gloves
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:39 am 

K. BigMac.. I will put up my only examples to this era up again for conversations sake, As you can see the 3 Dots Pro1000HCD (Middle Glove) has the Rawlings Word at the thumb as you mentioned. But it also has "Made in the U.S.A" at the Palm. So I know its not an early Philly. Rather a late USA offer. The leather wears very differently than the one on the Right (Horween with 01 Date Code). Its obviously a different color dye. But the feel of the leather is very different as well. (The 3 Dots is not as Tough and is slightly lighter). So not only the leather feels very different between a USA vs Philly. they are also very different comparing the earlier USA to the end of the USA era. Oh.. and having "Rawlings" at the Thumb doesnt automatically make it a Philly. Sadly the PRO1000H and PRO1000HCD are gone to a better place, so I can't take any more pictures or make a video of them. I still own the Gutmann on the Left. let me know if you want to see more pictures of it, I will get it done for you.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:47 pm 

Thanks Anthony :)

I'm familiar and have owned late USA and early Philly, but the early Philly just seem to wear a bit different, even thumb script usa vs thumbscript philly.
Jason, do you know anything about the early Philly leather?
Did Bob ever mention anything about them other than the re-tools that pertained to the leather?

Thanks!!

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:09 pm 

even if you dont know what the leather was, do you ,guys like these as much as the USA? step up or down?

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:53 pm 

From what I remember, and I could be wrong about supplier, but I thought the first runs from 98-01ish were Horween Oiled leather - both tan and black.

It is correct about new dies in Japan. I did like the thick thumb logo before they put the "R" in the "R's" tail. These oil tanned, tan's, did not wear well at all. Often having that nasty whitish rubbed off look. I had a friend who has a PRO204MT (and I cannot for the life of me find the pictures of it) and it wore terribly. It did, however, have the AWESOME dark tan/burgundy laces you dont see anymore. Cant remember if it was TN Tanning company, but they were sweet!