WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: Custom Rolin Trapeze autographed glove
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:26 am 

Hi all. This will be a review of a new Rolins six finger trapeze glove that I recently received as a special order from John the "Glove Guy".
First, let me say that John is terrific to work with. He will order the glove EXACTLY the way you want it. I didn't want ANY names or descriptions on the glove and that's exactly what I received. The only emblem are the letters XPT, which is the model ID. Oh yeah...something special that only John could provide was the embroidered script signature...of ROGER MARIS! Maris used a Spalding trapeze glove when he was playing with the Yankees and I wanted one that was new and as close to what he played with as possible. Spalding doesn't make a brown trapeze glove and Rawlings refused to put his name on the glove on a custom order.
So John came through for me :)

I will make this review 100% unbiased, so no sugar coating from me. Here are the specs on the glove I ordered:

Note from merchant:
Rolin RW6-G XPT 12.75"
Right hand throw
True 6 finger glove
All tan (honey)
Roger Maris(script) embroidery-thumb
Gold embroidery color
Delete Rolin patch from finger
Delete model number label
Free factory break-in
Free shipping

Total: $200.00 USD

Okay, on to the review....

The Good
The glove arrived in perfect condition. Well packaged and no problems there. I was immediately pleased with the color of the glove. It is almost an exact match for the Spalding version. The Roger Maris signature was beautiful. Exactly as I hoped it would look. The leather smelled like the good old days when leather smelled like leather. John told me it would smell that way and he was exactly right. My bedroom still smells of it and I have had the glove for about a month. Excellent!
The glove was pre-broken in from the factory. I'm not sure what they do as far as breakin is concerned. Whether it is bending the glove around by hand or chemical treatment or both. It is certainly more supple than most gloves I have purchased new.

The Not So Good
First you have to understand that $200 for a top-of-the-line glove is VERY inexpensive. However, having said that, the price becomes less important if the glove itself has problems. And unfortunately, this glove has some problems...

#1 The day after I received the Rolin glove, I received the Rawlings version of the 6-finger trapeze glove. This was also a custom order, but it is pretty much identical to the Rolin with the exception of the price...$289.95. With the Rawlings glove my fingers go about 1/3 of the way up into the glove fingers. With the Rolin glove, they are at the very base of the finger holes. I like to have my fingers at least partially inside the fingers of the glove. It gives a better feel and control of the ball. I don't know if this is a new style or what. But I don't much care for it.

#2 The index finger has some leather "scrunched up" and hanging down in the opening to the finger hole. I can kinda shove it out of the way with my finger, but it shouldn't be like that.

#3 The tag ends of the laces are WAY too long. Not a big deal, I can cut them down. I have seen some pros with these "fringy" laces so I guess it is in style. Just not my cup of tea.

#4 The finger hole to place the index finger outside the glove seems to be off-center. If you compare the picture of the Rawlings and the Rolin glove, you will see what I mean. I have checked other gloves and that hole seems to vary greatly, so I guess there is no standardization for it. And since I never use that finger hole, it really isn't an issue for me. But it might be for someone who does use it. So I included it in the criticisms.

That's about it for negatives. Problem #1 is the worst issue and there really is no workaround for it. It's in the basic design of this particular glove. Unless your fingers are as long as an orang-utang, they simply aren't going to go in the finger portion of the glove. When you catch a ball, the closing action on the ball will be preformed solely by the thumb and pinky finger, which both (fortunately) have internal leather loops for support. Will I use the Rolin? Yes, for playing catch with the wife it's adequate. But would I use it for actual gameplay?...nope. I would grab the Rawlings.

I hope John doesn't get peed at me for these comments. He really is a great guy to deal with and he is very accomodating to special orders. He knows every detail of Rolin gloves and can get you exactly what you want. I just can't recommend the Trapeze version until they fix problem #1.

Dep

Last edited by Deputy on Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:02 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Custom Rolin Trapeze autographed glove
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:46 pm 

Looks like the Rolin is set up for the two fingers in the pinky...try it on that way and let us know

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:45 pm 

I don't think that problem #1 is a "defect" issue, if I understand you correctly. I think it is a pattern difference, and glove companies all have different patterns. That's why some people love Rawlings, and others like Wilson, etc. I think Rolin's patterns (according to what you say and what I know about the Rolin glove that I own) have bigger pockets and wider palms - I have noticed what you are saying with mine. I kinda like that, to be honest. My Carpenter glove has that, and perhaps even more exaggerated. I like the way it helps me with "control" of my glove, personally.

In addition, I think that "fastback" gloves tend to feel that way a lot more than "conventional" backs. I prefer the latter, and just acquired my first "fastback" in quite some time. I notice the difference.

It's no problem if it isn't your cup of tea, as you said. You prefer the Rawlings pattern to the Rolin pattern, and that is not a knock on Rolin or JC.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:18 pm 

Gabby wrote:
I don't think that problem #1 is a "defect" issue, if I understand you correctly. I think it is a pattern difference, and glove companies all have different patterns. That's why some people love Rawlings, and others like Wilson, etc. I think Rolin's patterns (according to what you say and what I know about the Rolin glove that I own) have bigger pockets and wider palms - I have noticed what you are saying with mine. I kinda like that, to be honest. My Carpenter glove has that, and perhaps even more exaggerated. I like the way it helps me with "control" of my glove, personally.

In addition, I think that "fastback" gloves tend to feel that way a lot more than "conventional" backs. I prefer the latter, and just acquired my first "fastback" in quite some time. I notice the difference.

It's no problem if it isn't your cup of tea, as you said. You prefer the Rawlings pattern to the Rolin pattern, and that is not a knock on Rolin or JC.

Yes, I agree 100% that #1 is just the way the glove is designed. Just not what I like in a gove. I don't own any goves where my fingers don't actually go into the glove fingers at least a little way, so this was quite a shock to me. The pocket is large, but doesn't appear to be much larger than the Rawlings. Both my Rawlings full trap and modified trap allow the fingers to enter the finger part of the glove at least 1/3 of the way. So I assumed they would be the same with the Rolin. Actually, it never occured to me that the fingers wouldn't go into the glove. If I knew in advance it was like that, I don't think I would have ordered it. Oh well....live and learn ;)

The rest of my comments in the not so good section are fairly minor complaints.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:22 pm 

MVALZ wrote:
Looks like the Rolin is set up for the two fingers in the pinky...try it on that way and let us know

Ah yes "the Vucan" pattern :D
I tried it....no good. Even less control of the glove than a conventional all-finger use. Can't squeeze the glove closed at all using the claw.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:50 pm 

More and more I think I am going to sell the Rolin glove. I haven't used it at all and maybe someone who likes this type of fitment would be happy with it. I figure $25 off the price I paid would be a reasonable amount. So $175 plus shipping.

Dep

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:13 am 

The heel is perfect for the claw. If you don't like that mitt feel then you could lace a finger stall through the top for your first two fingers. With your other two in the pinky I bet that thing would be pretty cool. At least it would be the first full vulcan grip.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:43 am 

samwiches wrote:
The heel is perfect for the claw. If you don't like that mitt feel then you could lace a finger stall through the top for your first two fingers. With your other two in the pinky I bet that thing would be pretty cool. At least it would be the first full vulcan grip.

Didn't you see my post above regarding the claw? I tried the claw. Doesn't work. My fingers aren't "in the pinky" or any other finger of the glove. My fingers aren't long enough to go up inside ANY of the glove fingers. They stop at the base of the fingers in the glove. Like I said, you'd need fingers as long as a monkey to go up inside any of the glove fingers.

Last edited by Deputy on Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:55 pm 

Just my $0.02 worth, I have a rawlings and my fingers don't go into the finger stalls at all. I would go out on a limb and say that it doesn't just vary from company to company but also from glove to glove within the company. No two gloves will be the same

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:51 am 

BallplayerGrover wrote:
Just my $0.02 worth, I have a rawlings and my fingers don't go into the finger stalls at all. I would go out on a limb and say that it doesn't just vary from company to company but also from glove to glove within the company. No two gloves will be the same

Hmmmm....that IS odd. All my Rawlings gloves, heck ALL my gloves; Rawlings, Spalding, Wilson, and Brett, from the 60s right up to the newest ones allow the fingers to go up inside the glove fingers at least 1/3rd of the way, usually more. This is actually the first one that doesn't. Feels like I am a 6 year old kid trying on Daddy's glove :D
At any rate, it's going up for sale. I just don't like this style.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:19 pm 

Maybe small hands. I think a normal hand span is about 8"

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:23 am 

samwiches wrote:
Maybe small hands. I think a normal hand span is about 8"

I don't think so. That wouldn't explain my fingers going 1/3rd or more into the other gloves I own. I never heard of a "normal" hand span. If span is the distance from my wrist to the tip of my middle finger, that's 7 3/4 inches. If span is the distance from my pinky tip to thumb tip when stretched out, that's 9 inches. Here's an amusing thread on hand sizes. The average seems to be around 7 inches from wrist to tip of middle finger.:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=855673

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:12 pm 

The location of that index finger hole looks terrible! Almost as if you would put two fingers in the pinky slot and STILL want your index finger out... But it's now in the middle finger area/slot. I know you said the claw won't work for you, but the positioning of that index finger hole is nuts.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:01 am 

Well the Mexican glove is gone. I have learned my lesson the hard (and expensive) way. :(

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:10 pm 

Yes, I would have donated it and/or tossed it into the fire too....