WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: Cliff Lee
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:55 am 

So I work at Ranger's Ballpark and record the game to see the details when I get home. I guess this is the first time I've seen Lee's glove. Looks to be a 12in or maybe even a 11.5/.75 two piece. But the brown is a little different than most other player's brown Rawlings. Think he's using a USA Horween? Thoughts?

C

Last edited by topherloaf on Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Cliff Lee's leather?
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:29 am 

Being in Ohio and following the Indians, I have lusted after Cliff Lee's glove for quite a few years now! Looks like maybe an XPG-6 (?). I was watching the game on ESPN tonight and did notice his glove had a different color than some he's used in the past. The older ones looked like a dry Horween tan color. The one he had tonight might have been oil tanned as it was a little bit darker.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:39 am 

Yeah, check out the Rangers roster photos for Lee....they give good detail of his glove this year. Niiiiiiice.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:58 am 

Cliff Lee is hands down my favorite pitcher to watch these days... I love his pace...

http://img230.imageshack.us/i/leecatch21.gif/

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:20 am 

If you like Cliff Lee you will love the Pitcher Hellickson from the Rays. That kid is lights out. Everything a true "Pitcher" should be. Mixes speeds well, changes eye levels constantly, nice smoothe delivery and constantly keeps hitters on their front foot...Awesome...Look out for the Rays in 2010.....

JMHO

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:51 am 

If that Rays pitcher is anything like Lee then he's going to be a good pitcher for years to come. If you look at CJ Wilson as a starter, he's starting to show shades of Cliff Lee too and it's going to be interesting to see how he develops more as a starter. 2nd to Nolan Ryan, (i'm a biased Texan) Greg Maddux is my second all time favorite pitcher. Location, location, location. It was proof for a (then) kid like me that you don't have to throw ultra hard to be extreemly effective. Outside corner...24/7!!!

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:56 pm 

It looks to me like he put oil or conditioner on the classic Rawlings tan color he's had the last few years, and it slightly darkened.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:24 pm 

The funny thing about Lee is he just started to put it together the last couple of years...

I live in Cleveland for the time being and have for the last few years due to work related purposes, so I have watched the Indians for some time... Lee was pretty solid for the Tribe in 2004, 2005 etc... Yet, when the Indians were 1 win away from the World Series in 2007, Lee was not even on the playoff roster-- in fact, the Indians sent him down to the minors because his command was not there...

2008 he wins 22 games, has an era in the mid 2's and wins Cy Young....

Just think if he was that way one year earlier... The Indians rotation would have looked like this:

CC Sabathia (Won CY Young that year)
Fausto Carmona (Finished 2nd in Cy Young voting that year and was dominant)
Cliff Lee
Jake Westbrook
Paul Byrd

The Indians were up 3 games to 1 on the Red Sox in the ALCS... If Lee was in that pitching rotation, there's no doubt in my mind the Indians and not the Red Sox would have won the 2007 World Series...

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:14 am 

Just rewatched the game from Wednesday night. The glove in some shots looked almost orange....sort of like the glove Nolan used during the season of his 7th no-no. Other shots it looked sort of dark tan again. This is really baffling. Now that I think about it...I believe (and I could be wrong) that Barry Zito had a glove that was the same color in the 12.25inch. I'm going to go find some pics to compare and post.....

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:42 am 

Ok in this photo...Barry's glove looks like the camera shot of Lee's from Wednesday's game and the photo of Lee with his glove looks almost the same. I dunno, maybe it's just camera angles and lighting??? Obviously they use the same style of glove but it seems Lee rocks a 12 inch version while Barry Zito rolls with the 12.25. (I think he still does for the Giants...somebody can verify...though he uses a DARK reddish color last I saw) But do you see the orange-ish color on Barry's? It looks like the HOH Horween color Nolan Ryan used in his 7th no-hitter. Now THAT would be really sweet to do.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:45 pm 

Zito's been using a Primo/Burgundy color glove with a 2-piece closed web. It looks huge on his hand; I wouldn't be surprised that it's 12.25".

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:29 pm 

Its not a USA glove. Its a PRO200/ PRO1000/ PRO1175 -9I, -9TL. Its not the usual non oil treated like this one:

Its probably the new "I" tan leather.

** Please recycle threads by using search via google before posting.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:54 am 

Hrking, that's a friggin' sexy glove. I want one! :D

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:38 pm 

zito uses a HOH that he got specially colored. lately its been getting a lot lot darker, probably cuz he oiled it. theres a up close pic of it somewere in the forum.

also, being the giants fan i am it looks like Madison Bumgarner has been using the same glove as Lee. :shock:

Post subject: What color is Cliff Lee's glove?
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:06 pm 

Is this just normal dark tan color that can be chosen on Rawlings custom order system?

Thanks.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.