WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: Blackhorse USA
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:25 pm 

Hey Guys,

My 6HF is coming along nicely. The Ripken auto id almost totally worn off :)
When comparing it to the slightly skewd DM remake, and even a late 90's version, my 93 seems a little less stout-beefy-stiff.
This was my 1st experience breaking in a early 90's USA and I guess I expected it to be much more thick/stiff than it actually is.
It got me thinking.. the lace on this for example seems very thin (smaller width) and the thumb as well as the pinkie are pretty pliable.
Personally, I think the version of this to own is circa 1998 but this is the version i have and I'd imagine some people would actually prefer it.
It almost just seems a bit too old timey. The 98 version for example has a bit less heal down by the gromits and just seems a bit more streamlined over all.
Theres nothing I can do about that obviously, BUT would getting it relaced and inserts help get this a but more updated and a little less flimsy or will it eventually turn into the same thing?
If this is just a dumb question, my apologies.
I just wanted an opinion before doing anything.
Thanks!!![url][URL=http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/andrewhasseler/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20151102_164144_zpsz9e6bl22.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]
[url][URL=http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/andrewhasseler/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20151102_164204_zps65mm9h3v.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]
[url][URL=http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/andrewhasseler/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20151102_164220_zpspvsxufdc.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

Post subject: Re: Blackhorse USA
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:43 am 

No one?
Is this worth doing?
I dont care about money, so the integrity of the glove isnt super important unless its considered sacrilege...
I guess its just a matter of since the laces and smaller and thinner, would modern laces work without changing the play?
Since it does not have thick and strong inserts, would they take if implemented? or does it not have them stock for a reason?
Thanks again for the help

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:58 pm 

I used a Mizuno GIC-3E in high school and legion ball, lost the glove to mold over the years leaving it basement, found myself back in the game and wanted that glove again, found the same model in half way decent condition on the bay, and the break on the glove was completely different than how I break in a glove, and it felt super bendy from what I remember as a kid. Sent it off to Davis Relacing he put in inserts, got it relaced I sent him pictures of how I break in my glove and he was able to "set" it that way for me. And while I ended up using more modern alternatives, that glove could easily be gamed and it took the new inserts just dandy. I dont think any issues with putting in modern inserts, they can shape them to fit the glove. I think it would be worth it if your trying to modernize it a bit. Really make it your glove.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:05 pm 

I was on the brink of retiring the PRO-TOT (1998) I used through high school due to its floppiness. I decided to instead give it a relace and add lexan inserts. It had no inserts from the factory. I was shocked with how much it brought that glove back to life. I know that there are more pliable options than lexan, but on this glove it feels perfect. Could not have been happier.

I have done a couple of other gloves with similar success.

Beware though... Doing so definitely changes the feel of the glove.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:41 pm 

Thanks for the advice guys! Sounds like it may be worth doing. I guess the only real difference in this situation is this particular glove is essentially new. Ive played catch with it once and everything else is just a lot of couch catch. The general idea seems the same though. I didnt know if the lace being a different size would have an effect. Its soo odd to see lace thats so small. Its not weak, just smaller width and diameter

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:06 am 

Beefier lace will definitely stiffen up the glove, but in my experience this is really a short term solution (I have done 4 gloves, so not nearly the expert that some on this site are). If you want the glove to stay stiff long term, you are going to need thumb and pinky inserts. Like you, I prefer the look of thicker lace on the web, thumb, and pinky. Relacing also allows you to leave the lace length longer if that is your preference.

Personnaly, I wouldn't care that the glove is like-new, but I also use my gloves. If you want the glove to retain value, leaving it stock is probably your best bet (again, I am no expert in that area).