WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: AllStar infielders glove First Impression
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:09 pm 

All I can say is WOW!!! This glove fits the hand great, and for its price (189.99) it is stiffer than some of the Heart of the Hides out there. The Maruhashi leather is soft and durable. I wouldn't be surprised if this is my next glove. And for the people that are worrying that the leather on the thumb is wrinkled 'cause of the embroidery, its not. It is smooth and flat. Hope this helps anybody in their next purchase. :D

Post subject: Re: AllStar infielders glove First Impression
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:32 pm 

Would you mind posting some photos?

-J

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:45 pm 

I don't have the glove. I tried it on at a batting cage.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:55 pm 

Good to know. I expected good things out of all star.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:55 am 

The photos at ballglovewarehouse.com look very nice...tempting, but wish the 11.75" came with an H-web instead of the mod trap.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:33 am 

I just purchased the 1st baseman mitt for my son based primarily on the success of their catcher's mitt and its construction. My son doesn't like it. :( :( :(

He says it is way too stiff. He can barely squeeze it. He prefers the Mizuno GXF10. My son believes the Mizuno is softer and more game ready.

Are the catcher's mitts very stiff? Should I expect a similar break-in period?

Thoughts?

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:27 am 

Gables wrote:
I just purchased the 1st baseman mitt for my son based primarily on the success of their catcher's mitt and its construction. My son doesn't like it. :( :( :(

He says it is way too stiff. He can barely squeeze it. He prefers the Mizuno GXF10. My son believes the Mizuno is softer and more game ready.

Thoughts?

Kids need to learn that good things come to people who wait.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:04 pm 

Gables wrote:

Your son isn't alone in his thinking. Many young players today are a product of the "instant gratification" society we live in. Most don't want to spend the time to break in a glove because they want to use it now and not 6 or 8 months from now.

On the Mizuno GXF10: A guy in our league retired his old 1B mitt at the end of last year and bought a GXF10 to replace it because he thought the break in time would be relatively short. He was right. It was. But after one full season of use he ended up donating it to a youth camp because it had gotten so floppy, it was pretty much useless. For a glove that runs close to 200 bucks, it should last a bit longer than that IMO. This isn't a GXF10 issue only...I know of a few other Global Elite gloves that have already been "retired" due to floppiness. But YMMV. You never know.

A glove that is stiff to begin with will generally hold its shape longer and last several seasons (or longer) with proper care and a relacing or two in between. You can shorten the break in period by working the glove with a mallet and/or have a pitching machine throw some heat to you.

Gables wrote:

Yes, the All-Star catchers mitts are very stiff...at least the high end ones are. But that's how the pros want them. You really want to stay away from pre-softened, game-ready catchers mitts if the pitching is around 65 mph or above. Those types of mitts are fine for kids, but they won't hold up very long if you're trying to catch serious pitching at high school level or higher. They'll break down rather quickly.

All things being equal, you should expect it to take longer to break in a catchers mitt than a regular fielding glove.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:26 pm 

Do kids often fail to distinguish between "stiffness" and a glove being "uncomfortable"? He says the All Star "bothers" his hand but I'm leaning toward the All Star. I believe it bothers him because it's stiff. Not sure, however.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:41 pm 

I picked up the 11.5 a few days ago. Sticker price was $199.99 but got a discount for being in town for a tourney. Ended up paying $195 (including sales tax). This glove is amazing!!!!!!! It is the stiffest glove I've ever owned. They had 4 of the 11.5's in stock and I took the stiffest of the bunch, but all four could be used a defensive weapon if needed. The shop owner said they just got them in two days prior (Big League Dugout, Scottsdale Arizona). I have pics on my phone, but can't up load them on my phone, says file to big :( Anyway, I'll see what I can do, and try to get some pics up for everyone to see.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:14 pm 

Gables - interested in trading/selling the 1st base mitt?

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:51 pm 

Gables wrote:
Do kids often fail to distinguish between "stiffness" and a glove being "uncomfortable"? He says the All Star "bothers" his hand but I'm leaning toward the All Star. I believe it bothers him because it's stiff. Not sure, however.

It's probably going to be very difficult for him to distinguish between the 2, unless he breaks the glove in. I've had more than one ultra stiff glove that had something about it that felt 'uncomfortable' at first, but once fully broken in and formed to my hand they felt incredible.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:01 pm 
Gold Glover

I wonder if they will take off in the mlb with position players in the spring.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:31 pm 

goldy the gopher wrote:
I wonder if they will take off in the mlb with position players in the spring.

They will if all star pays them to use it to get the product out and on tv

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:09 pm 

If I can't convince him to keep it, I will simply return the glove for a full refund. I must say that the number of people who have offered to buy it have solidified my belief that he should keep the All Star and return the Mizuno. :ugeek: :mrgreen: