WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: Akadema Glove Conditioner?
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:47 am 

Just got a brand new Akadema Precision ASB104, and was wondering weather the glove conditioner is an oil or a paste? Also, any advice on how you guys broke in your new Akadema gloves would be appreciated, because mine is stiff as a board right now.

Post subject: Re: Akadema Glove Conditioner?
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:16 pm 

I have a Precision AKS2. I bought it last May. I haven't used any conditioner on it. I won't put anything on it until it seems dry.

Kip leather is interesting in that it can feel so soft yet remain so stiff. Mine is a stubborn little sucker as well. I pound the heck out of the pocket with a mallet and shape the thumb (flared out) and pinky (bent inward a bit) by hand a bit and that's all. I also keep it wrapped around a softball with an ace bandage for storage.

I used it to throw batting practice a few times last June and the ball really popped out bad. I can't close it now with much more ease than I could then, but it has a vice like grip on a ball now. Honestly I'll be happier if it never closes any more than it does right now, hence my desire to not put any kind of treatment on the leather that might soften it too much.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:56 pm 

To answer your question about the Akadema conditioner.
It is a liquid. I would not say it is an oil, it is somewhat creamy to the touch,
but not a butter like the Pecards or Vinci conditioners.

I find it is very light on the leather. No staining.
I also have lately been using it as the second step in cleaning some really old gloves.

The conditioner helps to remove stubborn dirt and stuff from years in a box in the garage.
It also leaves the glove softer. Since these are really old gloves, it takes a few steps to
get them ready to relace. It also has a more pleasant smell than some other oils and conditioners.

As for using on new gloves. I only recommend using a small amount - of any break in oil or conditioner.
I prefer to use a mallet with no conditioner to start. If that doesn't soften up the glove, then I apply
a small amount to the really stiff areas.

I do use it later in the season especially if the glove gets rained on or muddy etc. Works great to protect it.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:31 am 

Thanks guys for the responses. I'm probably going put the conditioner on that bad boy tonight. I'll post again saying how it works.