WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: Aftermarket Glovesmith Palm Pad
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:20 pm 

Anyone have experience with the aftermarket Glovesmith palm pads?

I saw this one on their website (http://www.usasportsdirect.com/Accessories/Glovesmith-Palm-Pad.htm) and also learned that they will install another type in your glove for $28 (not yet sure how these differ from the one in the link).

These palm pads just lace in at the heel, so I would be concerned that they could shift or bunch up over time, since they are not stitched in.

I like the stock leather palm pad in some of my HOH models, and am looking into potential options to add a palm pad to a HOH model that does not have one.

Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Glovesmith Palm Pad
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:29 pm 

I was curious and had one of these put in my PROAR3TLB.

Hated it and pulled it out the next day.

The leather is pretty thick and really changed the way the glove felt and closed. I thought it would be subtle, like the Rawlings leather palm pads. It was not subtle at all - just too bulky. Not a knock on usasportsdirect at all - they were great to work with.

Not a total loss though - forced me to expand my relacing skills a bit.

The strange thing is that I like the feel of the glove more now than before the pad was put in. Somehow, the process of pulling the pad out (which was a bit of a bitch due to the super sticky grease they used) and relacing the palm and heel somehow improved the pocket and the way the glove closes.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:19 am 

The default for the USA customs is a palm pad and for my last glove I asked them to skip it because I find them too bulky. Between the lining and the shell, you have 3/16" leather already. A pad would get you over 1/4"... yikes! To be fair, GS can split a piece of leather down from 3/32" to 1/16" or maybe even 1/32" which would probably make a big difference.

I added a wool felt palm pad to a glove recently. I was kind of winging it, but it looks like what I came up with is similar to the GS template.

The softballer wanted some substantial protection so I went with 1/8" felt. Because the mid-grade Mizuno was pretty thin in the palm and pretty broken in, the pad didn't seem to affect how the glove closed. But the GS DuraTan gloves are a whole different story.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:58 am 

That usasportsdirect palm pad is 1/8", which must be a lot thicker than what Rawlings uses for their leather palm pads. The Rawlings leather palm pads are very subtle in my opinion, adding a little body to the palm, but not affecting function.

Also, the Rawlings leather palm pads are narrow enough to not impede the break points of the glove, whereas that usasportsdirect palm pad is much wider, and was into the break point on the thumb side. It might have broken in over time, but I just did not like the way the glove felt with it. It also made the glove fit significantly tighter, which I didn't like.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:58 am 

Is it an 1/8" piece of leather or are there two pieces? I added the darts on either side to help it close and prevent binding.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:48 pm 

It's a single piece of 1/8" thick leather. They said it's from the belly (softer) and looks like it was tumbled.