WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: A story from Italian baseball
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:52 am 

This is going to be a long article about the situation of our beloved sport in Italy the Pizza & Mandolino country.
It's not a case that I said Pizza & Mandolino because things are really getting comical here, I wont tell names but just tell the story as I lived it.
I play in the second league in Italy for the Senago Milano United which is a sort of franchise where young players from Milano team come up to play for Senago and in Senago "field". The Serie A Federale as the level I play is called is divided in 3 rounds for geographical areas, even though Italy is not big as US we still have to drive along the so called "Boot". Each round consists of 8/7 teams playing every weekend a doubleheader with the possibility to have a foreign SP for the second game (Many teams took this chance by signing former pro pitchers from Venezuela, Cuba, Dominican Rep with all the costs related to, one for each team, and some teams signed position players with very high level experience too, as we did). At the end of the regular season (14 weekends) the first 4 teams will make the playoffs the others will play a small tournament called Coppa Italia. We struggled all season the get to the playoffs batting only .200 but with a team ERA of 2.87 and a .963 fld% we were last throughout the whole season in our round in avg but first in ERA and fld so somehow at the last weekend we and 3 other teams were fighting for the last 2 spots in the playoffs. We needed to win the away doubleheader to reach our goal. Won the first game but in the 13th inning of the second game they walked-off. [...]

Post subject: Re: A story from Italian baseball
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:53 am 

[...] (Following the previous post)
After a week of waiting for the setting of the 2 rounds of Coppa Italia our GM recieved a phonecall from one of the teams that made the playoff (I will call this team P). The other GM asked ours if we wanted to take their spot in the playoffs because of their economical problems with their contract players and with the long trips. ASAMOF for the playoffs our Federation (FIBS - Italian federation for baseball and softball) set 2 rounds with 2 very long trips to play against 2 teams from the 3rd round of the regular season and the other teams were from the first round to reduce trips costs... The deal was to switch positions, we take their spot in the playoffs and they ours in the Coppa Italia, (consisting in 2 rounds of 3 teams with very short trips to play away games and without the possibility to have a foreign pitcher on the mound for the second game), our GM unofficially agreed. Unofficially because we had to wait for the approval of this deal from the FIBS that we got a couple of days later. Now the thing becomes interesting. One of the teams (I will call this team N) in the Coppa Italia round that will have to play against team P, officially protested this switching move appealing to a rule that says that if a team for any reason cannot play the playoffs and has the rights to play them and asks for its removal from the rounds has to be removed from all postseasons events, tournament... such as Coppa Italia. So what's up now? The federation realized that they fucked all the things up big time! So the FIBS removed us from the playoffs they placed us in the Coppa Italia round and replaced team P in the playoffs, with team P accepting. WTF!?
We were really pissed-off at that time and we decided to stop this farce by retiring ourselves from the Coppa Italia round. We cannot go where the wind blows.
Now it comes to mind Domingo "I guess I play semi-pro right? - No man you worse you sunday-league"
I play sunday league! :cry: At 7/18 our season came to an end. Well done FIBS.
Share your thoughts people

Post subject: Re: A story from Italian baseball
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:20 am 

Great story, baseball in EU in quite funny if you take it with a grant of salt. Some years ago I played in the "national league" of Denmark (Northen EU), and we won nationals based on one annual tournament. Two teams showed up - one of the two were us. So yea, I have a gold medal that says something like "National Series of Denmark" hahaha