WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: 1990s TPX Fielding Glove Star Codes
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:59 pm 

I've been recently examining several 1990s-era Louisville TPX gloves. Of course, I've run into the stars on the back, which have been between one and five in number. Someone suggested to me that it was a year code, but I can't seem to crack the code. I heard that eventually all TPX gloves were given five stars, but apparently this wasn't the way it started.

Can anybody help me figure out what years my gloves are from?

Here are some more details on a few:

My black 1990s mitt has five stars on the back, has TPX Tournament Players Series in the pocket, and Horween USA leather to the right of that.

The one-star mitt that I have handled has the same TPX Tournament Players Series in the pocket and Horween USA Leather to the side of that. Only, on the inside of the thumb, it says "XPFB."

My other five-star has TPX Pro in the pocket, with a circle around it. On the right side, it says "Genuine Steerhide Leather," while at the top of the inside, it says, "Professional Pattern."

I've also got a four-star mitt with TPX Pro in the pocket, with a circle around it. On the right side, it says "Horween USA Leather." And on the inside of the thumb, it also says "XPFB."

Thanks for any help anybody can provide.

Post subject: Re: 1990s TPX Fielding Glove Star Codes
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:59 pm 

I contacted Louisville customer service via phone, and I had much better luck. They did some research, and I obtained the following information:

"The stars were used as year indicators in a 5 year cycle. So 1991 & 1996 had 1 star, 1992 & 1997 had 2 stars, 1993 & 1998 had 3 stars, 1994 & 1999 had 4 stars, 1995 & 2000 had 5 stars. This star system was last used in 2001."

For one of my mitts, it was shipped between January and March of 1996. However, it had a 1995 date code - 5 stars - because it was still in LVS's 1995 fiscal year.

As for the fiscal year and how it impacts other TPX glove dating, I have yet to receive an answer. I'll update this thread, if I hear anything back.

Hope this helps.